Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close-- Post 2

The next chapter began with a story about Oskar and how he made a bracelet for his mom to wear to her husband’s funeral. Using Morse code, Oskar converted his father’s last voice message into a bracelet using different beads to mean different things. There is another reference to the term “heavy boots,” which I am beginning to associate with sadness. It appears that every time Oskar mentions “heavy boots,” he is talking about someone or something that made him feel depressed or sad. This seems to make sense because a heavy pair of boots would weigh someone down and cause them to be a less effective person, and I can see how these two things can be related to each other. Since his father’s death, Oskar is definitely feeling the pain and the result of his “heavy boots” as he is trying to cope with his father’s death and recover from the pain and sadness that he is going through. Another thing that we learn is that Oskar loves to invent. Even if he isn’t creating anything tangible, he loves to think of ideas and invent things. This was something that he loved to do with his father when he was alive, and it is definitely something that makes him miss his father. In my opinion, having to think of something like that that would remind him of his father could be completely devastating. I think that I would be too scared to want to think of something like that because it would give me memories of my father and make me really sad again. As I continue to read this book, I am going to try to keep an eye on the way in which Oskar copes with his loss and see if he does things to remind himself of his father and if these types of things make him sad and miss his father.

No comments:

Post a Comment